What are the best climbing treestands for big guys? Man has been hunting for millennia. You may not be hunting for food like our forefathers, but your gear may determine your success or failure.
Staying high up the tree is an old hunting trick that increases your vantage point and the area that you can scan around you.
Does your weight stop you from hunting? Do you weigh more than 300 lbs?
Manufacturers are making heavy-duty climbing tree stands that can support up to 400 lbs. You can join your buddies and have fun scouring the forest for the game.
This article gives you an expert opinion on finding the best climbing tree stand from the boatloads that flood the market.
- 1 Why Should You Buy A Climbing Tree Stand?
- 2 Climbing Treestands for Big Guys Buying Guide
- 3 8 Tips to Consider When Hunting
- 4 Best Climbing Treestands for Big Guys Reviews
- 5 Closing Remarks
Why Should You Buy A Climbing Tree Stand?
The art of hunting needs you to have agile positions. This is where a climbing tree stand comes in handy. They enable you to change your stand position in a matter of seconds. You also get the ability to move quietly.
You also want to find a different setup every time you go out. Otherwise, where is the thrill in using the same tree every time? Find a spot where the wind does not affect you and you in for a successful hunting expedition.
Ease Of Use
Another benefit of tree stands is their ease of use. You don’t have to a macho hunter to know how to use them. But always read the manual to avoid any injuries.
Being quiet is another perk that every hunter will appreciate. Unlike noise climbing sticks, tree stands have a blissful silence. Also, you will up a tree in minutes without the fear of sliding back down to your doom.
Climbing Treestands for Big Guys Buying Guide
Of course, it is not a sofa recliner you are buying. But a good dose of comfort should be considered. If you end feeling like you are sitting on a thick branch, then that is money down the drain. You could have used the tree branch altogether.
Being a heavy guy, you need a heavily padded, bigger platforms, and snug armrests.
A 400 lb capacity ladder stand should be good for people on the other end of the scale. You may decide to go lower for some reason but don’t go lower than 300 lbs.
Don’t forget that you will have other things with you.
A climbing tree stand should live up to its name.If you can’t climb faster and silently with it, find one that offers you this.
But considering that you probably won’t have trees at your shopping center, customer reviews are an excellent place to stop. If previous users have loved it, the chances are that you will too.
Can you pack your tree stand with other gear without it feeling like you are transporting concrete? Portability is vital to help you avoid exhaustion and stay alert.
The hunting grounds may not be far but find a carrying package that sits close to your body. The bag feels lighter if it is smaller and closer to you.
You definitely can’t forgo safety when choosing a tree stand. Injuries from trees can be fatal, and if you are alone in the forest, you may end up being a goner.
Ensure that it has high-end lock systems, especially if you plan to move from place to place without a fuss. Plus, never forget to check the safety harness.
However, you have to find the right balance. A stand that sways, wobbles, or slides should be avoided. Check to ensure that the sitting position feels natural when up high.
Where do you plan to go for your hunting expedition? Your heavy-duty climbing tree stand should fit your hunting location.
Some brands produce ones that feel very secure on a smooth surface that look like telephone poles. However, not all wood surfaces look the same. The texture of the bark may be rough or very soft.
Climbers are suitable for rough surfaces where the teeth can get a good hold. Beech trees and pines may not be the best for your perching. Oak and maples, on the other hand, are strong, and you won’t have any wobbles while on top.
Most big guys prefer to use a tree stand with larger platforms. They give you a larger platform to set up and place your feet. They remove that feeling of your feet dangling in the air.
Smaller ones may also be advantageous. When portability and an easy to package climber is the issue, you can go for a smaller size. They are also easy to set up.
Hunting is a game of quietness and swiftness. If your tree climbing stand can’t stay silent, you are at a disadvantage. Your prey will pick any slight noise, and they are gone in a drop of a hat.
Cost and Brand
It should not be a rule of thumb, but it is hard to go wrong with a reputable brand. Leading manufacturers have a name to uphold. They also use the best materials in the market for durability, safety, and maximum support.
With excellent features, the cost will be a little higher. However, parting with money when the deal is right won’t hurt much.
8 Tips to Consider When Hunting
- Always have the harness on. Harnesses are not for amateurs alone. You may be the best hunter, but everyone has their off day, and people can’t fly,
- Prepare for the long haul. Your climbing tree stand can be relaxing, but remember that you may be there for hours on end. You may come with a drink (not alcohol) or snacks (quiet ones) to push boredom out of your system.
But if you stay and count trees around you, it’s even better.
- Learn your hunting angles. Can you shoot something from the position you are in? The higher you go, the smaller the prey becomes. You can come with a rangefinder and a box to help you with your aim and distance calculation.
- Stay ready and alert. Also, never sleep on the tree plus avoid drugs like alcohol that put you to sleep.
- Make sure you check the tree before climbing. Avoid dead trees or those whose branches are likely to snap.
- You must also be healthy and at your top physical shape. If you are alone, let other people know where you are. An emergency signal is recommended.
- Don’t climb with bags on your back or anything in your hand. There is a line to use when lowering or raising your stuff.
- Read the given instructions, features, and safety procedures. Don’t try any modifications on your device.
Next, let’s look at the best products for heavy guys in the market
Best Climbing Treestands for Big Guys Reviews
Summit Treestands Titan SD Climbing Treestand
Huge guys love this product for its wider platform and larger top because it can support well up to 350 pounds (it is the best climbing tree stand for big guys). The Summit Titan also takes the price for comfort, camouflage, and safety.
With a tree diameter of 20 inches, this stand boasts a durable make of aluminum. The aluminum is also lightweight for portability. It is also easy to assemble in minutes.
The larger platform also gives you space for other gear. It further allows for swifter reflexes. You can also replace the seat at an affordable cost, which ensures more years.
- Platform size: 21*38 inches
- Seat Size: 21.75*28.5 inches
- 2 steel-coated climbing cables
- Weight limit: 350 lbs
- Complete fall arrest system
- Product weight: 25 lbs
- The product has a superb design that facilitates silence.
- Offers a wider range of vision.
- An easy setup that doesn’t need nuts, knobs, or pins.
- It comes with a four-point safety harness.
- No wobbles or sliding.
- Weaker armrests.
- The platform is slippery if your shoes are smooth.
- It has no storage pockets.
Summit Treestands SU8119 Goliath SD (Mossy Oak)
The Summit Goliath is another excellent stand from Summit for big guys. It offers a bigger room and lots of features for a smooth hunting experience.
The solid front bar and the thick armrests are made with comfort and efficiency in mind. It also has aluminum parts that mesh perfectly but are light enough for portability.
The Goliath SD also includes a topnotch cable retention system for easy setup. Camouflage is also another benefit that you will enjoy. And you also get a customized bag for it.
- Foam-padded seat
- Complete harness system
- The heavy duty tree stands have a weight limit of 350 lbs
- Product weight: 21 lbs
- Tree Diameter : 8-20 inches
- Seat frame: 21.75*26.5
- A big weight capacity.
- Padded seat with a backrest
- Wide width
- Quiet tech
- Four-point safety harness
- Smaller leg room
- Some heavier guys have complained about its weight limit.
Lone Wolf Sit and Climb Combo II
Designed to be lightweight with a lot of features, Lone Wolf has received many accolades. It folds to a compact roll and weighs less than 20 pounds.
It also has a padded seat and a large platform for your legs. The camouflage design is also another plus for this product.
- Padded soft seat
- Platform: 30*19.5
- Folds down to a compact 5-inch package
- Weight limit: 350 lbs
- Product weight: 20 lbs
- Tree diameter: 6-19 inches
- Incorporated Bow holder
- Robust aluminum design
- Heavy capacity
- Quiet and camouflaged
- Bow holder works only with parallel bows
- Unfoldable seat if you want to stand
- Difficult to use on rough barks
Climbing treestands for big guys may be the thing you have been missing in your hunting expeditions. With the benefit of concealment, comfort, and vantage point, you will have one better over your prey.
However, make sure your tree stand can handle your weight without sliding or buckling. Always go for quality products from reputable companies.