You can still enjoy kayaking even if you are a heavy guy… just go for the best kayak for heavy person.
You see, I am a water sports guy and I know how we (big guys) can sometimes be limited by our bodies.
But now you have a reason to smile… I am going to present some the greatest kayaks for fat guys and also show you how to ensure you hit the jackpot as far as identifying the best kayak for heavy person is concerned.
You Might Also Like: Heavy Duty Camping Air Mattress
But first, let’s look at why kayaking is good for you:
Being a low impact activity, kayaking leads to
- An improved cardiovascular fitness
- Increased muscle power (back, shoulders, arms, and chest)
- Improved leg and torso strength
- Reduced wear-and-tear on joints & tissues,
Can you see how beneficial kayaking is?
|Old Town Recreational||275-325 Lbs||10 Foot Recreational||19.5" x 48" Cockpit||View|
|Sun Dolphin Aruba||250 Lbs||10 Foot Recreational||30" Wide Cockpit||View|
|Scrambler Kayak||300 Lbs||11 Foot Ocean, River, Lake||3 Point Hull 29.5" Wide||View|
|FeelFree Moken 12.5||419 Lbs||12.5 Foot||Perfect for fishing coastal lakes and oceans||View|
|LifeTIme Sport Fisher||500 Lbs||10 Foot Fishing Kayak||Very Stable and still kayak.||View|
Now, let’s come back to kayaks for big guys and this time, we are going to look at the advantages they bring
- 1 Advantages of purchasing a large kayak
- 2 Disadvantages of purchasing a large kayak
- 3 The best kayak for heavy person reviewed
- 4 So, how do you land the very best sea kayak for larger paddler?
Advantages of purchasing a large kayak
- Provide a significantly bigger storage space (for your bags, containers, etc.).
- Most have a large seat thus providing excellent visibility.
- Have excellent primary stability.
- They have a better sense of security and reduced risk
Disadvantages of purchasing a large kayak
- Some are hard to control- especially in windy conditions
- A few are quite costly
The best kayak for heavy person reviewed
The competition between kayaks with high weight capacity is cut throat. And you can easily get lost.
So, we curated a list of the very best kayaks for large people to make things a little easier.
Here, sample them;
Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Recreational Kayak
As a big man/woman, you want something you can fit comfortably in.
This kayak for large man has a pretty big open cockpit and it’s very easy to get into and out of.
You will fit just so well within the available extra room.
Then, All the other basic features work well…from the seat adjustment all the way to its carry handles.
I rate it one of the best beginner large kayaks
- Adjustable padded seat
- Tracking system
- Spacious cockpit
- Made from polyethylene
- cockpit rim paddle-rest
- Comfortable thigh/knee pads
- It has a very large cockpit
- Easy to control and maneuver thanks to the tracking system
- Comfortable seat
- You get plenty of storage for your gear and even a dog!
- Fairly priced
- Its slightly heavy
- the drain plug location is a bit awkward
This is a great workout. It works without complaining of your hefty frame and has plenty of room for getting in and/or out. All its features are comfortable through and through.
I feel that it has potential to make you the happiest paddler around.
You Might Also Like: Best Extra Large Camping Cots
Sun Dolphin Aruba 10-Foot Sit-in Kayak
The Aruba is made from UV-protected High Density Polyethylene is another fun kayak for splurging. If you have a liking for fashion, then you will find its deluxe adjustable seat irresistible.
The carrying handles provide for easier transportation without forgetting that it’s generally lighter.
- Rugged & UV-stabilized
- Adjustable padded seat
- Adjustable foot braces
- Paddle holder
- Protective thigh pads
- Made from High Density Polyethylene
- Large open cockpit
- Storage compartment
- Shock cord deck rigging
- Water bottle holder
- Carrying handles
- It has more safety options
- Very friendly for Beginners
- It has a lot of leg room
- Decent storage area
- Highly stable while in the water
- It attains good speed
- This is a well-built kayak- not much to complain about
The Aruba sit in kayak is one of the deluxe and more durable kayaks for larger paddlers. It easier to transport, has more storage –including for a water bottle amongst other convenient features.
It an amazing knock-around kayak
AIRHEAD AHTK-2 Montana Performance 2 Person Kayak
The greatest advantage with Inflatables kayaks is that you can fit it into a duffel bag, your car trunk, and even your suitcase.
So, if you hate driving around with a kayak stationed on your rooftop, you will like what the airhead Montana 2 person kayak offers.
Apart from being easy to stow away, it has superior comfort and tracking.
It’s also highly visible thank to its orange PVC material.
- 12-foot, 2-man kayak
- Made from highly visible orange heavy gauge PVC
- 2 Boston valves
- Movable & removable inflatable seats
- tri-laminate reinforcements
- Neoprene elbow guards
- 6 D-rings at the bow & stern
- Grab handles
- Threaded drain hole
- Tubular I-beam floor
- 4 bottom tracking fins
- Highly visible hence extra safe
- Very puncture resistant
- Easy to drain
- Easy to inflate/ deflate
- Its 12-ft so more spacious- can sit 2 people.
- Super comfortable seats
- It may take longer to dry
- water and sand may get in between the cover and the bladder
The airhead Montana 2 person kayak is an Inflatable high weight capacity kayak perfect for all your water adventures.
It has superior comfort, better tracking system, can sit 2 people and is highly visible.
You Might Also Like: Best Outdoor Chairs for Big and Tall Guys
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak, 1-Person Inflatable Kayak Set
Highly visible kayaks are considered safer in water since other fun lovers can easily spot you.
The intex challenger k1 kayak has eye-catching graphics so you are guaranteed more safety while paddling around the lake or across a slow-moving river
It comfortably supports up to 220lbs and has a premium low-profile design no wonder its considered a top contender for the best big man kayak award
- One-person inflatable kayak
- Cargo storage net
- Inflatable floor
- Inflatable seat (with a backrest)
- Low profile design
- Grab lines (on either end)
- Bonuses: 84-inch aluminum oar, repair patch, and high-output hand pump
- Has eye-catching graphics for extra safety
- Its Cockpit is very comfortable and big
- Very sturdy
- So easy to inflate/deflate
- Its inflatable floors makes it more stable
- Not comfortable for 2 people
With a premium design and eye-catching graphics, the intex challenger k1 kayak is safer and better built for an unforgettable experience each time you venture out to the river or the lake.
This is another top-rated inflatable kayak for large person
Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak with Deluxe Package
Still, on inflatable kayaks for big guys, you will find the 2-seater Sea Eagle 330 kayak.
It is made of extra-thick K-80 hull material and weighs just 26 pounds. Amazingly, it can carry a 500-pounds load comfortably.
And it comes in a deluxe package comprising of a reliable foot pump, inflatable spray skirts, two oars, inflatable seats, and a durable carrier bag to hold everything together.
- Self-bailing draining valve
- 3 deluxe 1-way valves
- inflatable spray skirts (Lashed down)
- I-beam construction floor
- Two skegs
- Pressure gauge & repair kit
- Bow & stern grab line
- Very easy to carry
- Sits 2 people comfortably
- It doesn’t puncture easily
- Comes with a convenient carry bag
- Easier inflate/deflate
- Very affordable
- Seats would do with some padding
- It can be hard to control in windy conditions
This is a sturdy two-person inflatable kayak with a capacity to carry a 500-pounds guy comfortably.
It is affordable, puncture-resistant, easy to carry, and control.
When you look at its functionality, built, and capacity, you will agree with me that this is one of the best kayak 500 lb capacity
What to look for when buying the Best kayak for heavy person.
One thing you will realize is that there’s no shortage of kayaks- and all claim to be the best kayaks for big guys
So, how do you land the very best sea kayak for larger paddler?
Here are some of the key considerations:
Where do you paddle/Use?
While the majority are versatile, a few are best when paddled in a lake, others a seacoast or and yet others in a river?
This helps you to narrow down your choices.
For example, if you are looking for one of the touring kayaks for larger paddlers, you don’t need to go through the sea of kayaks on sale.
Sit-in or sit-on-top?
Traditional sit-in kayaks have more protection while their sit-on-top counterparts are open and more exciting.
So, which are open to?
Kayak weight, material, and your budget:
Materials, directly impact your boat’s price, weight and your boat’s durability.
Shape and size
Your boat’s shape and sizing affect its handling and the available cargo space.
Safety and comfort features
Brighter colors, Velcro, padding and such features make your kayak more comfortable.
What is its weight rating? You can get a kayak for heavy person with maximum support capped at 200lbs, 250lbs, etc.
Expect a kayak 350 lb. capacity and onwards up to 500lbs.
Compare this with your own weight.
Now, that’s all there is for now about the best kayak for heavy person.
You will no longer have to watch as others enjoy time in the therapeutic waters- unless you miss out on the best kayak for big man which is itself very hard seeing that I have even highlighted- albeit briefly- some of the top-rated kayaks for big guys.
So, what you pick?
Whatever your choice, your pleasure should come first…Last Updated on